Exfoliating your skin has all kinds of wonderful skin benefits. Here are our top five:
- Kick toxins to the curb – Along with the act of exfoliation comes a rush of blood to the surface of the skin. This rush not only provides oxygen to vital organs but also helps to remove fluid build-up where dead blood cells and toxins like to hide and make you feel sluggish or sick – like in those little dimples of cellulite.
- Shine bright (yes, like a diamond) – The very tip-top layer of your skin is comprised of dead skin cells that shed about every two weeks. Getting rid of this top layer allows your more radiant, youthful looking skin that lies beneath to shine through. You’ll look younger and more refreshed without the pain and price tag of a chemical peel!
- Hang on to that moisturizer- By exfoliating that top barrier of dead skin cells, your skin will be better able to absorb and retain any moisture rubbed onto it. If you feel as though your skin doesn’t stay moisturized for very long, you should try first exfoliating and then adding moisture. Dead cells aren’t able to do much besides cloud your complexion, and they definitely won’t help you hang on to your body butter!
- Soft as a baby’s bottom -After exfoliating your skin, you’ll notice that without those dry, dead cells in the way, your skin is naturally smooth, soft and supple. You’ll even be able to get a closer shave without those built up dead cells covering the base of each hair. With this unrestricted access, you can shave right from the base and even go longer before feeling stubble again.
- Wash away the grime of the day – There is no more effective method to cleansing away stubborn, long-wear/waterproof makeup, or dirt from a particularly grueling outdoor workout than a gentle cleanser. Exfoliate away the tough stuff when a regular gel or foaming cleanser just doesn’t do the trick.
Remember: Too much of anything can do more damage than good! Depending on your skin type, you might not want to exfoliate your face or body more than two to three times per week – and each time should be gentle. When using an exfoliating product, you don’t need to use much force or speed when rubbing it around your skin. Let the scrub do its job while you move it slowly in a circular motion around your skin, then rinse thoroughly and pat your skin dry with a soft towel.
Follow up with a moisturizer and show off your new glow!