Pumpkin pops up everywhere this time of year, and for good reason: If it’s not completely doused with sugary syrups and cream cheese frosting, it’s really good for you, with vitamins and minerals your body needs. It can help you glow from the inside out—and the outside in, if you add it to an easy, DIY pumpkin face mask. Grab that leftover can of pumpkin from the holiday’s activities (or pick up an extra can when you do your holiday meal shopping), and read on for why it makes a perfect at-home skincare ritual.
Why Should You Use Pumpkin On Your Skin?
Pumpkin is a killer DIY ingredient for all skin types because of its high vitamin content. It’s rich in vitamin A, which soothes and softens your skin, and vitamin C, an antioxidant that can help remedy damage produced by free radicals (read: lightens pigmentation).
Suffering from blemish-prone skin? Pumpkin is full of vitamins E and T, inflammation fighters that reduce pore size and control excess oil. The zinc in pumpkin seeds and flesh can help balance hormone levels and assists with healing the skin, all in promotion of clearer skin.
Struggling with dry or dull skin? The natural enzymes pumpkin contains can help dissolve dry skin cells, while beta-carotene-rich antioxidants can remove old surface skin cells, and help promote new cell growth.
DIY Pumpkin Face Mask
Ready to whip up a DIY face mask with that extra pumpkin? Everything you need, you probably already have in your kitchen.
- 1/4 cup pureed pumpkin (fresh is best, but canned works too!)
- 1 whole egg to nourish (yolk) and subtly tighten skin (white)
- 1 teaspoon honey to seal in moisture and help battle breakouts
Additives for Your Skin Concern
- Oily skin: Add a splash of apple cider vinegar for an astringent effect.
- Dry skin: Add a splash of whole milk for the exfoliating lactic acid. Not into dairy? Try aloe vera.
- Extra exfoliation: Add some oat flour for a gentle, soothing scrub.
- Whisk together pumpkin and egg.
- Add in your honey and blend until smooth.
- Mix in your preferred additives.
- Apply to skin evenly. Rinse after 10-20 minutes, and apply your normal skincare routine.