It’s no secret that argan oil is a hot commodity and men and women of all ages are stocking their medicine cabinets with this glorious godsend. You’ve read about it in magazines, seen it endorsed by celebrities and shelled out big bucks to try it out on yourself in hopes that you wake up fresh and gleaming, like a young Cindy Crawford…or just Cindy Crawford at any age, really. While argan oil has not been officially approved for the usage of Cindy Crawford-ization, it has been rumoured to perform a slew of other beauty acts of kindness.
To name a few:
- Moisturizes even the driest of skin – With Omega-6 fatty acids and Vitamin F, this oil will turn your Sahara-skin into smooth, soft baby’s skin quickly. My skin always goes from naturally oily to dry as a bone in the beginning of winter, and this year was no exception! Fortunately this dryness doesn’t last all winter because of my beloved argan oil coming to the rescue.
- Prevents wrinkles – Prevention, prevention, prevention; This shall always be my credo! Some aging is just genetics, there’s no way around it. Some is just time and gravity doing what they do best. However…some signs of aging can be stopped -but you have to get in there before it begins! Massage this around you face, neck, backs of hands, legs, arms, ears, dog, boyfriend, laptop -oops! Getting a little carried away there, but trust me…so will you!
- Helps to heal acne – If you’re sick of slathering on the latest “miracle treatment” to dry up acne, that only leaves you with crocodile hide for skin, go in another direction and nourish your skin with this dry oil instead. Bonus: You won’t be afraid for your face to touch the pillow after your nighttime application like I used to be with dermatologist prescribed stuff when I was 13 – argan oil sinks in fast!
- Stretch marks – This is another benefit that you’re more likely to see from this product if used as a prevention tool. I have a few of these tiger stripes myself, and while I didn’t really notice a change in color or visibility after some weeks of argan oil application since the marks had been there a while (ahem, thanks puberty), I did feel a difference in the texture or how raised the marks were. Hey, I’ll take what I can get in that arena. Start using it now to prevent them -color, and all- before they start!
- Deep moisturizing treatment for hair – While I LOVE my coconut oil for hair masks, I usually have to wear a hat the next day (or two) because I go overboard with it and end up with hair so “well-moisturized” that it seems like I just showered. Not the cutest look for the office! With argan oil being a dryer oil than coconut, it doesn’t leave my hair nearly as oily looking after a treatment and a quick wash afterwards leaves it as good as new – with an added shine and baby-softness!
Whatever you want to use your argan oil for, make sure you’re using 100% argan oil and there aren’t any surprises waiting for you in the ingredients list! It’s okay if you don’t live in Morocco and can’t grow your own argan tree (the oil comes from argan nuts that grow in the trees!). You’ll still be able to reap these bountiful benefits by simply shopping smart and choosing a product where the only ingredient in the argan oil is…well, argan oil!