In the largely unregulated cosmetics industry, Organic Bath Co. wants to be a name and a brand that you can trust. We want you to know that with our products, you’re not only getting high-quality ingredients that are good for you, but you’re also getting formulas that work. We spend our days selecting, crafting and testing concoctions so you don’t have to. And when you purchase one of our scrubs, oils or body butters, you can rest assured that you’re getting something you’ll love, with ingredients that will only improve the health of your skin and your body.
Because of this strong conviction, we want to share a little about what we choose to not include in our products. In the United States, there hasn’t been any legislation about what companies can include in their personal care products since 1938. The FDA doesn’t have to test or approve any cosmetics before they enter the market and make their way to the shelves of drugstores, discount chains or department stores (yes, not even those high-end brands you could drop hundreds of dollars on—no governmental or independent agency has to put a stamp of safe approval on them before they hit stores).
The United States bans or restricts only 11 ingredients in the use of personal care products. Compare that to the European Union, which has restrictions on 1,328 ingredients. A little unnerving, right? There aren’t even any regulations on “natural” or “green” or “eco friendly” labels, meaning that each individual company is responsible for determining what “natural” means to them. Often, it merely means they’ve added only a small amount of one or two non-toxic ingredients.
The average person uses about 12 personal care products per day, which contain a total of 168 proven-to-be-toxic ingredients. Because what goes on your skin makes its way into your body via absorption, the average person is effectively dousing him or herself in ingredients that have been linked to cancer, hormone disruptions, severe allergies, and other serious health issues.
That’s why we at Organic Bath Co. promise never to use toxic ingredients in our products. Since learning about the side effects of certain ingredients, there are quite a few that we would never use on ourselves or our friends and family. So, we’ll research a bit more and work just a little harder to provide you with products you can feel good about using, with healthy, organic and Fair Trade Certified ingredients that will lift your spirits and soften your rough patches.
So what do we actually ban from our indulgent products? We’ll tell you (transparency builds trust, right?).
- No parabens. Used mainly to prevent the growth of microbes in cosmetics, parabens are a hot-button topic in the personal care realm. They can be found in shampoos, conditioners, lotions, cleansers and scrubs, and they pose a threat because they’re endocrine disrupters that mimic estrogen, which can promote breast cancer cell growth. They’re most harmful to pregnant women and children, but everyone should be cautious.
- No aluminum. While aluminum compounds vary in their toxicity levels, they’ve been shown to contribute to cancer cell levels, as well as neurotoxicity and developmental and reproductive toxicity. It’s also been linked to Alzheimer’s.
- No sulfates. Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and Sodium laureth sulfate (SLES) are found in 90 percent of conventional personal care products, despite their links to allergies and skin irritations, as well as eye development and central nervous system depression. They penetrate the skin really quickly, though our bodies can’t metabolize or process them.
- No synthetic fragrance. Synthetic fragrances are one of the scarier ingredients in traditional products. Because of trade secret laws that “protect” companies’ unique scent blends, fragrance (or parfum) can be comprised of even those 11 ingredients that the United States bans—and companies don’t have to reveal their formulations to anyone, ever. Fragrances are then usually a concoction of 100—300 synthetic compounds that disrupt hormones, can cause infertility and genital abnormality, can damage liver and kidneys, have been linked to cancer, and are toxic to fetuses (not to mention that they can contribute to respiratory conditions like asthma and can increase the likelihood of skin allergies and migraines).
- No phthalates. This sneaky ingredient isn’t always listed on labels because of its presence in a product’s fragrance. It has many of the same effects as the compounds in synthetic fragrances, and can cause birth defects.
- No dyes. Not only are many dyes animal-derived, these synthetic colors can also cause skin irritations and allergies.
- No mineral oil. Mineral oils are byproducts of petroleum and have been linked to breast cancer and ADHD symptoms. It can also clog pores and suffocate skin, leading to irritation and dryness.
- No formaldehyde. Not only is formaldehyde a known human carcinogen, but it’s also linked to immune system damage, liver problems, skin irritations and allergies. Plus, it’s a known respiratory and immune system toxin.
- No animal testing, ever. Our Director of Animal Safety (a.k.a. our dog Bruschi) wouldn’t allow it. It’s unnecessary, cruel and we won’t do it. Ever.
Journey with us as we continue to feel good, smell good and do good, all with the purpose of creating healthier, more luxurious skincare options that you can feel confident in!