OBC eats is back! After another long New England winter, spring is finally in the air! The sun is out, the tulips are blooming and we are ready for summer (and lunch)! This beautiful weather has inspired our OBC eats this Wednesday afternoon.
We are taking all of the lovely ingredients one might find in a summer Caprese salad and putting them smack in the middle of two delicious pieces of sourdough bread. And then, of course, toasting it to become a cheesy wonderful mess. This recipe is simple, cost efficient, vegetarian, and is full of flavor. It’s also office friendly!
Unfortunately, farmers markets here in Boston aren’t open yet, but we try to buy organic and local ingredients as much as possible! We love supporting local farmers and we love making our tummies as happy as possible. We can’t wait to make this recipe again with farm fresh ingredients from the SoWa open market this summer!
- Nashoba Brook Sourdough bread
- 1 ripe heirloom tomato - cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 ripe avocado- cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 16 fresh basil leaves
- basil pesto
- 1 fresh ball of mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 cups raw organic baby spinach
- Spread a thin layer of pesto on both pieces of bread
- Place spinach and mozzarella on bottom half of bread
- Place avocado, basil and tomato on the top half of bread.
- Press the sandwich closed
- Place in toaster oven for about 2 minutes at 450 degrees until bread is slightly browned.
- Remove from the oven, cut the sandwich in half and enjoy!
prep time: 5 minutes , Cook Time: 2 minutes, Serves 4