Like many food trends, “Meatless Mondays” are becoming more popular as we realize the benefits of going meat-free once a week. Meatless Mondays can be dedicated to eating a diet rich in plant-based foods, filling up on nutrients and minerals our bodies crave and help give our skin that healthy glow.
To kick off the OBC Eats lunch series we will share what our lunch plates look like on Mondays, and how to start your week off with some clean eating ideas. One of my favorite “go to” meals in the summer is a refreshing salad packed with superfoods. I love to eat the fruits and vegetables that are in season during the summer months, as they usually come at a lower cost and are packed with nutrients.
Avocado and Goat Cheese salad: * Try to use organic and local ingredients when possible
Serves 3-4 people:
- 1 small radicchio
- 1 bunch of organic cilantro
- 1 large organic carrot
- 1 small cucumber
- 1 avocado
- 1 package of organic goat cheese
- ½ cup of walnuts
Dressing: Mix organic olive oil and balsamic vinegar to taste
- Toss the cilantro in with the chopped radicchio, mix together and add the cucumber and carrot.
- Slice up an avocado, add the goat cheese, and top with walnuts to give an extra boost of antioxidants.
- Drizzle oil and vinegar to add enough flavor — I prefer to do this instead of using a pre-packaged salad dressing that can often be very high in calories.
To create this salad I used radicchio, which is similar to cabbage but with a more bitter taste for the base of the salad. I love adding different vegetables to my salads as the seasons change to ensure I am eating an array of produce that offer different benefits. What types of salad are your favorite? Let me know in the comments below!